Parent Visa Subclass 173, 143, 884, 864, 870 & more

Stay close to your family- You have a child or children living in Australia, and you’d like to relocate there permanently so you can be with them.

Two main types of parent visas that lead to Permanent Residence are- Contributory parent visa and Non-contributory parent visa. Either of these can be lodged from within Australia or from outside Australia.

Note: A parent visa can be lodged from Australia if at least one parent satisfies the age requirement of the aged pension definition in Australia.

A parent visa applicant must meet the balance of family test. This means that at least 50% of the applicant’s children are Australian citizens or Permanent Residents, or that more children are Australian citizens or Permanent Residents in Australia than in any other single country.

Sponsorship Visa for Parents: The Proce

Parents of Australian citizens, Permanent Residents, or eligible New Zealand Citizens can apply for a Parent Visa if they meet the balance of family requirements and have at least one of their children who is an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident sponsor them. As a parent, you must be sponsored by your child, who must be an eligible citizen of New Zealand, Australia, or an Australian permanent resident.

There are three different types of parent visas

  1. Non-Contributory Parent Visa
  2. Contributory Parent Visa
  3. Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa.

For Parent Visa- Non-Contributory and Contributory

  • At least half of your children reside in Australia, or more children reside in Australia (as Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens) than in other countries.
  • You will be sponsored in Australia by one of your children who is an Australian citizen,’ settled’ permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Applications can be made from within Australia if you meet the definition of an Aged Parent and your current visa does not have an 8503 (no further stay) condition.

Specific Requirements for Parental Visa- Non-Contributory

Subclasses of Visas for Non-Contributory Parents:

  1. Subclass 103: lodged while traveling outside of Australia
  2. Subclass 804: Lodged while inside Australia

AUD 5,000 for the primary applicant and AUD 2,000 for a partner is the Assurance of Support fee. The holding period for this bond is two years. The bond will be required when the visa is evaluated, which will be many years down the road.

Specific Requirements for parental Visa: Contributory

Subclasses of Visas for Contributory Parents:

  1. Subclass 143 or Subclass 173: For two-stage applications that are lodged while the applicant is outside of Australia
  2. Subclass 864 of the two-stage application subclass 884: Should be lodged while you are in Australia.

Expect the processing time to take about 3.5 years.

For those applying for Contributory Parent Visas, there are two payment options (both adjusted annually):

  1. Permanent visa (subclass 143 or 864) – pay the second Visa Application Charge of $47,755 per parent.
  2. Temporary visa (subclass 173 or 884)- parents pay $31,670 for the second Visa Application Charge, which entitles parents to a two-year temporary residence visa with Medicare access and work rights. During these two years, parents may apply for a permanent visa at any time, at which point the remaining payment of $19,420 is due.

The contributory parent visa category also requires a 10-year $10,000 Assurance of Support bond for main applicants and $4,000 for adult secondary applicants (this is payable during the processing of the permanent visa for temporary visa holders). The assurance of the support bond earns interest and is refunded after 10 years.

Other Prerequisites

A parent can only apply for a parent visa within Australia if they are of legal age. An aged parent is eligible for an Australian age pension.

As long as their current visa does not have an 8503 (no further stay) condition, which is typically associated with a visitor visa, a parent who satisfies Australia’s definition of pension age may apply for a parent visa while still in Australia. After arriving in Australia and submitting an application for a parent visa, they are qualified to obtain a bridging visa A, which allows them to remain there legally for the remaining period necessary to process their parent visa.

Subclass 870 of the Sponsored Parent (Temporary Visa) visa

This is a short-term visa for parents; it does not become a permanent residence visa or extend its validity. The parent is not permitted to apply for any other subclass of parent visa after receiving a Subclass 870 visa or while the visa is still valid.

This visa enables you to:

  • Meet up with your kids and grandkids.
  • Visit Australia for a maximum of three or five years at a time (depending on which option you select at the application stage).
  • Submit new applications for additional visas to stay in Australia for a total of ten years.
  • Prohibits employment in Australia

Stay Longer

You can apply to remain for a total of 10 years. You must have been outside of Australia for at least 90 days before you are qualified to be granted another Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.

You must leave Australia or apply for another visa that will allow you to stay if you have held Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas for the maximum cumulative 10-year period. No further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa will be granted to you.


To apply for this visa, you must have an approved Parent Sponsor.


AUD5,000 for a three-year visa, or AUD10,000 for a five-year visa.

You must apply for the visa outside of Australia unless you have Permission to Apply in Australia, which must be requested by your sponsor.


You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

What Can You Do With a Parent Visa?

  • Continue to reside in Australia indefinitely;
  • No restrictions on travel to and from Australia;
  • Be eligible for Medicare, Australia’s government-run healthcare system;
  • There are no restrictions on work rights.
  • When the residency requirements in Australia are met, apply for Australian citizenship.